Lawyers Serving New Hampshire
Municipalities often find themselves involved in litigation brought by
a resident, dissatisfied by decisions taken by a municipal board. Our
attorneys at Shaheen & Gordon, P.A. have represented municipalities
and landowners in both sides of these actions. As special counsel, we
have represented Zoning Board of Appeals on issues involving land use
restrictions, federal preemption and permitted uses involving Wetlands
Overlay Districts. In our representation of landowners, we have appealed
planning board and zoning board decisions on issues involving grandfathering,
wetlands use restrictions, hardship and noise ordinances. Our practical
aggressive representation, along with focus on our clients long terms
goals, has brought us and our clients success.
Municipal law is diverse, and ever expanding. Our team has approached issues
from both sides, and is prepared to assist you in achieving your goals
in the most efficient, constructive manner.
- Is your collective bargaining at a standstill?
- Do you need assistance in negotiating fair and reasonable wages, hours,
and other terms and conditions of employment?
- Does your municipality need assistance drafting zoning ordinances that
allow proper and planned development?
- Has an American with Disabilities Act claim been filed against your municipality?
- Are your municipal departments and officers in need of quick and responsive
legal opinions interpreting municipal bylaws and State statues?
- Are you attempting to obtain municipal approvals to open and operate your
business, but your approvals are being delayed by wetlands protection,
historic preservation or road access interfering with building your home?
- Has your municipality’s recent tax revaluation been challenged as
unfair and disproportionate because the property values have increased
dramatically for residential properties abutting lakes?
We believe that we can assist you because of our wide municipal experience
that recently includes:
- Successfully represented municipal managers in collective bargaining negotiations
with the municipal entity;
- Litigated the American with Disabilities Act on behalf of a small New Hampshire
town before the New Hampshire Superior Court and New Hampshire Supreme Court;
- Worked with architects, engineers and municipalities to develop plans for
health care facilities that satisfy our client’s business needs;
- Negotiated separate collective bargaining agreements as a member of the
school board on behalf of a school board with teachers, support staff
and custodial staff;
- Appealed and received abatement for tax assessments that unfairly, illegally,
and disproportionately overtaxed our clients;
- Sought and obtained a Superior Court reversal of a local Zoning Board of
Adjustment decision that would have required a significant industry in
the municipality to terminate operations that had existed for over fifty years.