Walter’s 37 years practicing law have been concentrated in the areas
of criminal defense and personal injury cases. He has handled a wide range
of civil matters both as plaintiff and defense counsel.
A native Mainer and part-time lobsterman for more than thirty years, Walter’s
combined legal expertise and love of the sea have allowed him to work
extensively with a local fishermen’s association and member of the
Shellfish Community for the City of Biddeford.
He has served as President of the York Bar Association as well as currently
acting as the CLE director for the York Bar. Additionally, he was the
Chairman of the Grievance Commission for the Board of Overseers of the
Bar and a member of the Board. He also was President of the York County
Shelter; a founding member of a juvenile intervention program; and currently
is the President of the Board of Trustees for the Biddeford/Saco Country Club.
Notable Cases & News
Woman held in County Jail 103 days to be represented by Smith & Elliott, PA
This article appeared in the December 11, 2009 edition of the Journal Tribune.
York Bar Association's "Past Presidents Achievement Award"
renamed to " Charles Walter Smith Jr. Award"
- University of Maine School of Law, Portland, ME, 1973, J.D.
- University of Richmond, Richmond, VA, 1969, B.A.
- Maine Bar, 1973
- U.S. District Court District of Maine, 1973
Recognition & Memberships:
- Maine Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- York County Bar Association
- Maine Trial Lawyers Association
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Indigent Defense Committee, Past Chair
- York County Shelter, Inc., Former President
- Grievance Commission, Former President
- Member of the Board of Overseers of the Bar
- Biddeford/Saco Country Club, President