Born and raised in the steel town of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, Ed Stewart
has spent the last 36 years representing and promoting the interests of
the working men and women of New Hampshire.
After graduating from Bowdoin College and the University of Maine School
of Law, Ed was selected by then-Attorney General David Souter to serve
in the State of New Hampshire Office of the Attorney General. In 1980,
he entered private practice with the personal injury firm of Brown and
Nixon, P.A. and quickly developed a concentration in the area of workers’
compensation law. He has represented injured workers before the New Hampshire
Department of Labor, the New Hampshire Compensation Appeals Board, the
New Hampshire Superior and Supreme Courts and the United States District
Court for New Hampshire.
In 1996, Ed was the founding chairman of the Workers Injury Law & Advocacy
Group, a national non-profit organization dedicated to representing the
interests of millions of workers and their families who, each year, suffer
the consequences of work related injuries and occupational illnesses.
He has spoken at more than 40 national, regional and local seminars on
various workers’ compensation issues and also has testified on countless
occasions before the New Hampshire legislation on the impact of legislation
on workers and their families.
In 2008, Ed was inducted as a Fellow in The College of Workers’ Compensation
Lawyers, a national organization established to honor those attorneys
who have distinguished themselves in their practice in the field of workers’
- State of New Hampshire, 1976
- U. S. District Court for the District of New Hampshire, 1976
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New Hampshire Bar Association, Secretary, 1984-1986.
- New Hampshire Association for Justice, President, 1987-88; Board of Governors,
- Workers Injury Law & Advocacy Group, Chairman, 1995-1996; Board of
- American Association for Justice, Board of Governors, 1988-1996; Workers’
Compensation Section, Vice-Chair, 1991-1995, Chair, 1995-1996.
- College of Workers’ Compensation Lawyers, Fellow, 2008.
- State of New Hampshire Compensation Appeals Advisory Board, 2004-2008.
- The Best Lawyers in America, 1995-2010.
- New Hampshire Association for Justice
- Board of Governors’ Award, 1992 &2005
- President’s Award, 1994
- New Hampshire Editions Magazine, “Excellence Award” in the
area of plaintiff personal injury and workers’ compensation, 1994.
Education and Career
- B.A., Bowdoin College, magna cum laude, 1973.
- J. D., University of Maine School of Law, 1976.
- Assistant Attorney General, The State of New Hampshire Office of the Attorney
- Attorney/Director/Shareholder, Stewart and Murphy, P.A. (and its corporate
- Shareholder/Partner, Shaheen and Gordon, P.A., 2010