Valsartan Mass Tort Lawsuits

Valsartan Attorneys for New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont and Massachusetts

In 2018, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced a voluntary recall of certain drugs that contained valsartan after discovering valsartan had been contaminated by a possible carcinogen. If you or a loved one took a Valsartan medication and were diagnosed with cancer, you may be entitled to compensation.

Contact us to discuss your case with our dedicated team.


Valsartan is an angiotensin II receptor blocker that is used to treat high blood pressure and heart failure. It works by loosening blood vessels to allow blood to flow more easily through the system. The recent recall was initiated when an “impurity” that poses potential cancer risk was detected in valsartan. That impurity, N-nitrosodimethylamine or NDMA, is classified as a probable human carcinogen. The medicines included in the voluntary recall are valsartan from Major Pharmaceuticals, Solco Healthcare, and Teva Pharmaceutical Industries, as well as valsartan/hydrochlorothiazide from Solco and Teva. The FDA announced in a news release that “the presence of NDMA was unexpected” and believed to be related to changes in the manufacturing of valsartan.

NDMA is a Known Carcinogen

NDMA, the impurity recently detected in valsartan, is a known carcinogen and has been linked to various diseases, including:

  • Liver cancer
  • Colorectal cancer
  • Kidney cancer
  • Gastric cancer
  • Stomach cancer

Not all valsartan products were recalled, and the FDA is continuing to review various medications to identify any others contaminated with NDMA. The agency maintains a list of the recalled manufacturers and products.

Contact Shaheen & Gordon

At Shaheen & Gordon, P.A. we are committed to helping victims who have been injured by harmful medications seek the justice and compensation they deserve. Contact us now if you or a loved one has been diagnosed with cancer after taking Valsartan medication.

Our Distinguishing Awards & Honors

Helpful Videos for Your Case