Lucy commenced her legal practice in Chicago, where she focused on complex business litigation, securities fraud, and securities class actions. She continued this focus after moving back to New Hampshire in 1987 and expanded her practice into the health care area. She has served as an arbitrator for 30 years.
Health Care Practice
Lucy counsels individual health care providers and health care practices on compliance with state and federal regulations, board licensing, billing and coding practices, medical staff matters and employment issues. She has represented hospitals and medical staffs in internal investigations, governance and billing matters. She has represented individual physicians, dentists, nurses, and licensed clinical social workers in licensing, privileging, billing, employment, and contract matters.
Lucy has represented individuals and companies in internal investigations in the health care, academic, securities and defense arenas.
Class Action Practice
Lucy has served as lead counsel in consumer class actions resulting in successful settlements. She has also served as counsel in securities class actions.
Lucy has represented individuals and corporations in federal and state civil and criminal investigations and litigation, as well as in regulatory matters before the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and the New Hampshire Bureau of Securities Regulation. She was appointed receiver of a failed brokerage firm by the U.S. District Court for the District of New Hampshire upon the recommendation of the U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission.
Lucy serves as an arbitrator for FINRA handling securities and employment matters. She has also served as an arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association handling business disputes.
- Member of the Bar-New Hampshire, 1988
- Member of the Bar-Illinois, 1982
- United States District Court for the District of New Hampshire, 1988
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 1982
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, 2000
- United States Supreme Court, 1988
Education & Career
- B.A. Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH, 1977
- J.D., Washington University School of Law, St. Louis, MO, 1982
- Karon, Morrison & Savikas, Chicago, IL, 1982-1983
- Sachnoff, Weaver & Rubenstein, Chicago, IL, 1983-1987
- Hinkley & Hahn/Hahn & Associates, Manchester, NH, 1988-1993
- Shaheen & Gordon, Concord, NH, 1997-present
Professional & Community Involvement
- American Bar Association: Health Law
- New Hampshire Women’s Policy Institute-Volunteer, 2007
- New Hampshire Bureau of Securities Regulation Task Force, 2003-2005
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Board of Directors, 2000-2006
- Planned Parenthood of Northern New England, Board of Directors, 1992-1999, 2011-present
- Health Options, Board of Directors, 1988-1992
- Families in Transition, Board of Directors, 2009-2012
- Red River Theatres, Board of Directors, 2009-2017
- Focus on Tanzanian Communities, 2010-2017
- Pancreatic Cancer Action Network, volunteer 2015-present
- Concord Hospital Board of Trustees, 2019-present
Recognition & Honors
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America since 2013 in health care law
- Named “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers for Health Care Law, Concord (2015)
- Named in Super Lawyers 2010-2018
Consumer Class Actions
Appointed lead counsel in In re Colgate-Palmolive Softsoap Antibacterial hand Soap Marketing and Sales Practices Litigation (D.N.H.) and In re Dial Complete Marketing and Sales Litigation (D.N.H.)
Arbitrator with Over 25 Years of Experience
Arbitrator with over 25 years of experience arbitrating disputes for the American Arbitration Association, and Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (formerly the National Association of Securities Dealers and the New York Stock Exchange).
Compliance Related Issues
Represent hospitals in a wide array of compliance-related issues including fraud and abuse, HIPAA, and billing and reimbursement issues.
Medicare and Medicaid Matters
Provide an array of legal advice to community mental health centers in the area of Medicare and Medicaid matters and investigations.
Defended Health Care Providers in NH Regulatory Boards
Successfully defended health care providers in proceedings before New Hampshire regulatory boards.
Defended defense contractor in federal Office of Inspector General Investigation
Successfully defended a physician in federal Office of Inspector General investigation.