Maine Criminal Defense Attorneys
Dedicated Advocates in Portland, ME
When you’re up against criminal charges, little else can cause the confusion, frustration, anger, and fear you may feel. You know your reputation, freedom, and future are at stake when someone accuses you of a crime, and you want a lawyer who will care just as much about your case as you do.
At Shaheen & Gordon, P.A., our criminal defense attorneys in Portland ME care. You’ve been accused of a crime, but you are presumed to be innocent until the prosecution can convince a jury of your peers of your guilt. Our attorneys will get to know you and your background, as well as the details and evidence in your case, so we can build and implement a personalized defense that can clear your charges or mitigate your blame.
If you’re ready to work with a criminal defense attorney in Maine who cares, contact Shaheen & Gordon, P.A. online or call (603) 635-4099 for help now.
Criminal Accusations We Can Defend Against
We can help clients facing criminal charges related to the following:
- Drug crimes - Whether you are charged with possession, manufacture, cultivation, sale, trafficking, or other drug-related charges, we can help.
- White-collar crimes - We have experience handling white-collar crimes that include tax evasion, embezzlement, money laundering, forgery, fraud, and more.
- OUI (impaired driving) - We can represent driving-related offenses that include drunk driving, drugged driving, texting and driving, and more. We can also assist with driver's license reinstatement, DMV hearings, and out-of-state DWIs.
- Sex offenses - If you've been accused of a sexual offense such as assault, rape, or another crime, we can help. We know how damaging a conviction can be, as well as having to register as a sex offender.
- Child pornography - Whether you've been accused of creating, distributing or possessing child pornography, make sure you have an attorney who is willing to aggressively defend your future.
- Theft crimes - From burglary and robbery to shoplifting, we can effectively represent a wide range of theft offenses.
- Assault & Battery - We can represent a wide range of assault and battery cases, including misdemeanors and felonies that involve a dangerous weapon, serious injury, or aggravating circumstances.
- Murder & Manslaughter - As one of the most serious of charges that entail the heftiest of penalties, we are ready to prepare an aggressive defense and take your case all the way to a trial.
- Domestic Violence - Domestic violence allegations can have a negative impact on your reputation and personal life. We thoroughly investigate such allegations and help minimize the damaging effects it can have on your life.
- Federal crimes - Federal charges often involve tougher penalties due to the stricter sentencing guidelines. Our team of attorneys has a history and reputation of providing effective defense for federal criminal offenses.
- Internet crimes - We have experience defending clients against a wide variety of cyber offenses such as hacking, identity theft, fraud, piracy, and more. We can also represent clients who have been accused of phishing or spoofing schemes, such as charity or donation scams, investment schemes, and work-from home scams.
- Juvenile crimes - We understand that your child's future is at stake, and will work hard to minimize any negative effects a criminal charge can have on your child.
- Appeals - We have helped countless clients seek an appeal for reasons such as a wrongful conviction, inappropriate sentencing, unethical actions by prosecutors, and more.
The Criminal Process
The criminal process typically involves the following stages:
- Pre-Arrest / Investigation: Before arresting a suspect, authorities may conduct an investigation to find evidence or probable cause to support an arrest.
- Arrest: Authorities can obtain a warrant for an arrest, or make an arrest without a warrant if they have probable cause to do so.
- Arraignment: There will be a hearing before a judge where you learn more about your charges and enter a plea in response.
- Negotiating Pleas: Your attorney can negotiate with the prosecutor for a lesser offense, reduced charges, or another outcome that is less serious.
- Trial: If the case is still unresolved, the case will be taken to trial where a judge and jury will decide on whether you are guilty.
- Sentencing: If you are found guilty by a jury or pled guilty, the judge will arrange for a sentencing hearing to determine the appropriate sentence.
- Appeals: You are able to request an appeal with a higher court if you believe that there were legal errors that affected the outcome of your case.
The criminal process can be complex and intimidating, especially if it is your first time facing criminal charges. It is important to have an experienced criminal defense attorney who can help you navigate the entire process and protect you every step of the way.
Our Proven Approach to Criminal Defense
The criminal defense attorneys in Maine at Shaheen & Gordon, P.A. can defend your constitutional rights and work to ensure the justice system treats you fairly just as it has for many other clients since 1981. Our criminal defense team includes former prosecutors who offer the chance to predict your accuser’s legal arguments and actions.
We leverage this experience for you to develop strategies to respond to developments in your case regarding pre-trial litigation as well as the trial itself. We’ll work with you to identify factual, legal, and constitutional issues that can mitigate or eliminate your culpability for an alleged crime. We also enlist the services of mental health and scientific professionals who can help us investigate the facts of your case and discover evidence that can assist you.
We know that you’re counting on us to care about your case, which is why we will pursue identifiable avenues in your case that can lead us toward your best possible outcome.
Your Relationship with Us
At Shaheen & Gordon, P.A., the attorney-client relationship is at the heart of our business. We want to know more about who you are and your background because we know these details can help us uncover clues about how your strongest defense can be made. Although we’ll remain candid about your chances of success, we’ll treat you with the compassion and respect you deserve most during this time.
Our criminal defense attorneys in Shaheen & Gordon, P.A. realize your trust in us must be earned. We’ll work toward building a relationship with you as our client that can help us devise a plan to avoid or minimize your fines, incarceration, as well as minimize the impact that your case – and conviction, should it occur – will have on you and your family.
Discover your options for building a personalized criminal defense by speaking with one of our lawyers at Shaheen & Gordon, P.A. today. Call (603) 635-4099 as soon as you’ve been charged with a crime to increase your odds of favorably mitigating your charges.
“He spent a long time on the phone with me and was very honest and up front about the costs of service. It was nice to finally get some assistance with the questions I had.”- Vanessa L.
“They have always had my best interest in mind and have worked diligently toward finding a successful resolution.”- Howard P.
“He explained the process and outlined each step before we made it, and was always available by phone and email when I needed clarification.”- Alia S.
Ellsworth v. Warden, 333 F.3d 1 Reversal
Assault Against a Police Officer. Acquittal After Trial
Aggravated Felonious Sexual Assault Not Guilty
Aggravated Felonious Sexual Assault Charges Dropped - Merrimack County Superior Court Charges Dropped
Aggravated Felonious Sexual Assault Charges Dropped – Grafton County Superior Court Charges Dropped
Burglary Not Guilty
Business Crime Victory – Laconia District Court Dismissed
Concord Monitor Case - Defamation Action Dismissed
Importing Counterfeit Prescription Drugs Dismissed
Sale / Possession of Controlled Drugs Dismissed
Committed to Your Peace of Mind
A Record of Achievement
Connected to Our Community
Unique Legal Experience
Fearless Legal Advocacy