Maine Social Security Disability Attorneys
Protecting Your Right to SSD Benefits
Social Security is a federal program that provides the safety net many Americans need, especially when they suffer disabilities that prevent them from working and earning a living. While pathways to disability benefits under Social Security are in place, they are notoriously difficult to navigate, surrounded by dense legal issues, and governed by strict guidelines. For these reasons, numerous applicants receive denials or disability decisions that may fail to meet their needs.
At Shaheen & Gordon, P.A., our Maine Social Security disability lawyers are committed to guiding hard-working disabled men and women through the complexities and legal challenges of SSD applications and appeals. By providing comprehensive assistance, educating clients about their rights and options, and handling the nuts and bolts of their claims, we strive to make the process as swift and successful as possible.
Reasons to Choose Shaheen & Gordon, P.A.
- Our team has decades of collective legal experience.
- We’ve helped thousands of clients secure benefits.
- We prioritize personal attention and client satisfaction.
- We serve clients throughout Maine and northern New England.
SSD and SSI
Social Security operates two primary programs when it comes to assisting individuals with disabilities. These include Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplement Security Income (SSI).
- SSDI – Social Security Disability Insurance is what most people refer to when they talk about disability benefits. SSDI provides financial monthly payments to individuals who suffer from a disability, including physical injuries and illnesses, which prevents them from working. In order to qualify for SSDI, applicants must be rated at disabled by the Social Security Administration and must have paid into Social Security enough and long enough. Due to the strict requirements and need for extensive documentation and thorough claims, SSDI claims see high denial rates.
- SSI – Supplemental Security Income is need-based federal program that provides financial benefits to individuals who have a limited amount of assets. Monthly benefits are dependent on all sources of income, including benefits that may be received through Social Security disability.
How the SSA Defines Disability
Disability can be a general term with a number of applications, but when it comes to the Social Security Administration, there is a strict definition. According to the SSA, a person is considered disabled when a medically verifiable physical or mental impairment prevents them from engaging in substantial gainful activity (work) and which is has lasted or is expected to persist for over one year, or result in death.
Various physical injuries requiring long-term recoveries or resulting in permanent impairments can constitute a disability, just as certain illnesses and mental health conditions may make an individual eligible for SSD. If you are unsure about whether your condition is considered a disability, our legal team is available to review your case and discuss how the SSA may rate you.
Our SSD and SSI Services
With a thorough understand of the Social Security Administration and the rules they implement for SSD and SSI programs, our Social Security disability lawyers are able to provide assistance to clients in a range of matters concerning benefits. This includes assistance with compiling all relevant information and documentation for new applications, which may also require assistance with medical records and disability determinations. We understand the common mistakes individuals without representation make when applying for benefits, and we know how to build claims that help our clients get it right the first time.
In addition to assistance with applications, we also help clients who have had their applications denied, or who have received unfavorable decisions, in appealing their cases. Appeals can be challenging endeavor, but they can be effectively handled by experienced lawyers who know what mistakes were made initially and how to structure an appeal so that clients secure the benefits they need. Our firm also provides comprehensive support and counsel to help clients understand how the system works and whether they may qualify for additional programs, including Medicaid or Medicare.
Call Today to Discuss Your Case
When you and your loved ones depend on benefits during times when you are unable to work, navigating the process efficiently and effectively is critical to your wellbeing and your future. By working without an attorney, you risk delays, incomplete applications, and denials. Put proven lawyers on your side by speaking with a member of Shaheen & Gordon, P.A. today.
Shaheen & Gordon, P.A. serves residents throughout Maine, New Hampshire and Northern New England from multiple office locations. Visit an office near you or contact us to schedule a consultation.
Committed to Your Peace of Mind
A Record of Achievement
Connected to Our Community
Unique Legal Experience
Fearless Legal Advocacy