Maine OUI Attorneys
Arrested for OUI? Get the Strong Legal Defense You Need.
If you were arrested for drunk driving, you need an attorney with the right experience to help you avoid the consequences of a conviction. In Maine & New Hampshire, drunk driving is called operating under the influence (OUI) - sometimes known as DUI - and an OUI conviction could lead to serious legal penalties.
After an arrest, it is imperative that you speak with our qualified Maine OUI defense lawyers as soon as possible.
OUI Lawyers Know How to Fight Your Charges
In Maine, our clients are uniquely dependent on their driving privilege to support themselves and their families. A conviction for impaired driving may result in personal and professional consequences which our attorneys understand.
What makes our OUI Attorneys in Maine unique:
- We are trained in the field sobriety tests that law enforcement rely upon to build their drunk driving cases and use that training to establish reasonable doubt in their cases.
- We also understand the nuances of breath and blood testing and regularly identify legal and scientific issues to challenge breath and blood alcohol results.
- We are prepared to respond to OUI challenges involving drugs.More and more, state and local police pursue cases based on recreational and prescription drug impairment, which present a range of different legal issues.
For the aggressive legal advocacy that you need, contact our criminal defense team at Shaheen & Gordon, P.A. today. Our firm has served clients for more than 60 years and is ready to help you.
Maine's Zero Tolerance Law
According to the Bureau of Highway Safety, individuals under the age of 21 are subject to special laws. Maine's zero tolerance law states that it is unlawful for any person younger than 21 years of age to operate – or attempt to operate – a vehicle with any measureable alcohol in their system. Persons 21 years and older cannot drive with a BAC (Blood Alcohol Content) that exceeds .08%.
OUI Penalties in Maine
An OUI conviction can lead to a series of punishments that can affect your personal and professional life.
Potential penalties for OUI can include:
- 1st offense: Up to 1 year of jail time, $500 - $2,000 in fines, and 150 days of license suspension
- 2nd offense: Up to 1 year of jail time, $700 - $2,000 in fines, and 3 years of license suspension
- 3rd offense: Up to 5 years of jail time, $1,100 - $5,000 in fines, and 6 years of license suspension
Standard OUI is usually a misdemeanor offense, but special circumstances can lead to harsher penalties and more severe charges. For example, a BAC of .15% or higher is considered an "aggravating factor," and can lead to additional penalties, such as a mandatory jail sentence. Other aggravating factors include OUI involving a car accident, injury to a third party, or a fatal crash.
Drunk Driving Practice Areas
Our OUI practice areas include:
- Commercial driver's license OUIs
- Breath tests
- DMV hearings
- OUI process and appeals
- Aggravated OUIs
- Underage OUIs
- Out-of-state OUIs
- First and subsequent offense OUIs
- Underage OUI
- And more
Schedule Your Initial Consultation Today
Our OUI defense attorneys are qualified and ready to fight for your rights against any criminal charge, including a standard first offense OUI, felony OUIs and OUIs with aggravating circumstances. For additional information about your legal options, speak with an attorney from our firm.
You don't have any time to waste, so schedule your initial evaluation when you call our law office today.
“I wish you had been on my side in 1996, my life would have turned out significantly different.”- Theodore W.
“She was professional, thoughtful, and kept in constant contact throughout the litigation process.”- Tom R.
“I will and have already told anyone we know in need of a lawyer to go to Shaheen & Gordon.”- Betsy W.
ALS and DWI Victory – Keene District Court Case Dismissed
D.W.I./D.U.I./O.U.I. Not Guilty
D.W.I./D.U.I./O.U.I. Not Guilty
D.W.I./D.U.I./O.U.I. Charges Dropped
Goffstown District Court Charges Dropped
Lancaster District Court Charges Dropped
DWI Second Offense Victory – Manchester District Court Case Dismissed
DWI Victory – Concord District Court Not Guilty
DWI Victory – Hooksett District Court Case Dismissed
DWI Victory – Laconia District Court Case Dismissed
Committed to Your Peace of Mind
A Record of Achievement
Connected to Our Community
Unique Legal Experience
Fearless Legal Advocacy