As a partner at Shaheen & Gordon, P.A., Brian focuses his practice on government investigations, white collar defense, civil litigation, and regulatory matters for individuals and corporations. His experience includes numerous high-profile trials and investigations, including first-degree murder trials, defense of multi-national corporations in securities and healthcare investigations, and other serious criminal and civil matters.
Brian has successfully briefed and argued numerous cases before the New Hampshire Supreme Court and has taught Advanced Appellate Advocacy as an adjunct professor at the University of New Hampshire Law School, formerly known as Franklin Pierce Law Center.
Previously, Brian served as a senior assistant attorney general in the Homicide Unit and Criminal Justice Bureau of the New Hampshire Department of Justice, where he led homicide prosecutions. He also prosecuted white collar crimes and public integrity matters and represented the State of New Hampshire in civil matters in state and federal court.
Brian has been consistently recognized as one of the leading defense attorneys in New Hampshire by his peers and clients. His honors include recognition as the Top Criminal Defense Attorney in New Hampshire by Business NH Magazine and ongoing inclusion in New England Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers in America.
Brian has been selected to the Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the areas of white collar crime & government investigations. Chambers’ rankings are the result of the accomplishment of an attorney’s work and the regard in which they are held by their peers and clients.
- New Hampshire Bar
- U.S. District Court, District of New Hampshire
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
Education and Career
- B.S., University of New Hampshire
- J.D., New England Law | Boston
- Judicial Clerkship, New Hampshire Superior Court
- Senior Assistant Attorney General, New Hampshire Department of Justice
- Director, Preti Flaherty
- Co-Chair of White Collar Defense & Government Investigations Practice Group
- Securities Practice Group
- Partner, Shaheen & Gordon
Professional and Community Involvement
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- New Hampshire Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- New Hampshire Catholic Lawyers Guild, co-founder
- Crisis Center of Central New Hampshire, board member since 2014. Serving Merrimack County, the Crisis Center seeks to empower individuals to make positive changes in their lives and works toward ending domestic and sexual violence in Merrimack County by providing services and shelter to victims/survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, elder abuse, and child abuse.
- Federal Criminal Justice Act Panel, U.S. District Court of New Hampshire, former member
- New Hampshire Access to Justice Commission, former member
- New Hampshire Legislative Ethics Committee, former vice chairman jointly appointed to the Committee by the New Hampshire Speaker of the House of Representatives, the House minority leader, the president of the New Hampshire Senate, and the Senate minority leader.
Recognition and Honors
- Top Criminal Defense Attorney in New Hampshire, Business NH Magazine
- Listed as a New England Super Lawyer
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America
- 2019 Lawyer of the Year, Criminal Defense: White Collar (Concord, NH)
- Chambers USA Guide to America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- White Collar Crime & Government Investigations
- Successfully represented a chief financial officer of a large corporation who was indicted for theft and sued civilly by the corporation.
- Successfully defended a multi-national investment bank and financial services company against allegations of securities violations before the New Hampshire Bureau of Securities Regulation
- Successfully represented the chief operating officer of a financial institution with a criminal investigation conducted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the United States Attorney's Office and represented the trust official with a related civil lawsuit.
- Represented numerous individuals with misdemeanor and felony-level drug offenses brought by federal and state law enforcement officials.
- Represented professionals including doctors, nurses, dentists, and others accused of professional misconduct and successfully defended them against allegations brought by their professional licensing boards.