Joseph Cherniske is a member of Shaheen & Gordon’s criminal defense group. He has over a decade of experience in the criminal justice system, and the insight he brings to the table as a former prosecutor is invaluable to clients. Joe represents clients charged with serious misdemeanor and felony crimes, including homicides, physical and sexual assaults, thefts, drug offenses, DWI/DUI, and other driving offenses.
Joe recognizes the life-changing consequences these charges can have and uses an aggressive and knowledgeable approach to prevent or mitigate them.
Prior to joining Shaheen & Gordon, Joe worked at the New Hampshire Office of the Attorney General in the Criminal Bureau, where he was assigned to the Joint Youth Development Center Task Force and the homicide unit. As one of the lead prosecutors assigned to the Joint Youth Development Center Task Force, he was responsible for the investigation and prosecution of hundreds of complex felony sexual and physical assault allegations stemming from the state’s Youth Development Center. As a member of the homicide unit, he assisted in homicide investigations and prosecutions statewide.
Joe began his legal career at the Merrimack County Attorney’s Office, where he handled over 60 jury trials and hundreds of cases, including those involving drug crimes, crimes against children, domestic violence offenses, property crimes, motor vehicle-related crimes, DWI/DUI offenses, violent crimes, firearm crimes, and crimes involving theft and fraud.
Joe has also taught law enforcement cadets about the criminal code and spent significant time educating law enforcement officers about proper investigative techniques. He has a deep understanding of police standards and training, which benefits clients who seek to ensure the proper procedures are followed and their rights are upheld.
Joe is a dedicated member of the New Hampshire community, serving on multiple boards and committees. He has been admitted to practice in the state since 2010.
Education and Career
- B.A., University of Connecticut, 2004
- J.D., University of New Hampshire School of Law, 2010
- Assistant County Attorney, Merrimack County Attorney’s Office, 2010–2020
- Attorney, New Hampshire Office of the Attorney General, 2020–2022
- Associate Attorney, Shaheen & Gordon, 2022–present
Professional and Community Involvement
- Board Member, Sexual Assault and Nurse Examiner Advisory Board
- Board Member, United Way, Merrimack County Community Impact Committee
- Member, The Attorney General’s Task Force on Child Abuse and Neglect
- Volunteer, University of New Hampshire School of Law