Maine Family Law & Divorce Attorneys
Trusted Divorce Lawyers in Portland, ME
Whether you initiate or are responding to divorce or a related family law matter, we know this can be an emotionally complicated moment in your life. Not only are you experiencing something you may have never anticipated, but you are now exposed to legal complexities like property division, child custody, and alimony that may add to the discomfort of legally separating from your spouse.
At Shaheen & Gordon, P.A., we appreciate and understand how difficult this moment can be for you. That’s why we want to do our part to help take some of the worry out of the process by working closely with you during your divorce. Our divorce attorneys in Portland, ME can explain the details of the issues you face in simple terms so you can have the opportunity to make choices that may lead you to a brighter future than you expected. We’re focused on being the experienced and tenacious advocates for our clients by offering proactive solutions that can drive favorable results.
If you want to speak with an attorney about your divorce, begin today by calling Shaheen & Gordon, P.A. at (888) 801-9916 or contacting us online.
Types of Divorce & Family Law Cases We Can Handle
Contact Shaheen & Gordon, P.A. immediately if you need legal assistance in family law matters such as the following:
- Alimony (Spousal Support) – Your financial interests and well being can be in good hands when you negotiate the details of your alimony or spousal support payments with Shaheen & Gordon, P.A.
- Child Custody and Visitation – Get a fighting chance to keep your family together with help from Shaheen & Gordon, P.A. We’ll work with you, opposing counsel, and the judge to advocate for your right to parent your child as you see fit.
- Child Support – We can work with you to help you get a fair and accurate child support order to help your child thrive.
- Domestic Violence – If you’re a victim of domestic violence, we can help you seek proactive legal remedies and recourse such as a protecting order to help keep you or your children safe.
- Fathers’ Rights – Fatherhood is as important to you as it is to us to help you achieve your legal goals related to paternity, custody, and child support.
- High Net-Worth Divorce – If you are concluding a marriage that shared a great amount of wealth and assets, Shaheen & Gordon, P.A. has the experience necessary to help you settle complicated financial matters. We help resolve issues related to businesses, uncovering hidden assets, property valuation, and more.
- Modifications – If you desire a modification to orders related to child support, alimony, child custody, and more, we can help you work through this process toward achieving results that can make a difference.
- Mothers’ Rights – Preserve the mother-child relationship you have with your child by working with an attorney in Maine from Shaheen & Gordon, P.A. We can help you protect your rights as a mother and parent to your child.
- Prenuptial Agreements – Create a plan for what might be difficult to consider before tying the night. If your marriage ends with divorce, rest with more assurance that the process can be handled more quickly and favorably to your interests with a prenuptial agreement.
- Property Division – A divorce attorney in Maine from Shaheen & Gordon, P.A. can help you during property division to work toward ensuring equal division of your marriage’s community property is properly divided.
- Relocation – If you or your ex-spouse chooses to relocate after your divorce, we can help resolve outstanding issues such as modifying custody to reach an agreement.
FAQs About Divorcing in Maine
How long is the divorce process in Maine?
After the initial paperwork has been filed, there is a 60-day waiting period for the final hearing. In some cases, the entire process can take much longer if you and your spouse need to negotiate the terms of custody, alimony/spousal support, property division, etc. If your case requires litigation, the process can take even longer.
What are the requirements to file a divorce in Maine?
To file a divorce in Maine, you must satisfy one of the residency requirements, which includes:
- You resided in Maine for at least 6 months before filing
- You or the other party are residents of the state and were married in Maine
- You are a resident of the state when you filed for divorce, and both parties lived in Maine when the divorce occurred.
How is property divided in a Maine divorce?
Assets debts are divided using "equitable distribution," which means that the division should be fair and equitable (not necessarily an equal split). The division depends on the contribution of each spouse during the marriage, economic status of each spouse, and the value of property awarded to each party.
How is child custody determined in a divorce?
Parents must be able to agree on custody and visitation matters, including decisions regarding where the child will reside, with whom he/she will reside, education, healthcare, and more.
If parents are unable to agree, the court will make a decision based on the child's best interests. Some of the factors for deciding this include the child's relationship with each parent, the stability of living arrangements, and other factors that can affect the child's well-being and development.
Do I need a divorce attorney?
While you do have the right to represent yourself, it is recommended that you hire an attorney if you are unsure about the law, or if your divorce is contested. An attorney will be able to provide legal guidance to help ensure that you are not taken advantage of, and that your financial interests are protected.
Will I have to pay or receive spousal support / alimony?
Whether or not you will need to pay spousal support, or receive it, depends on several factors: the length of the marriage, each spouse's income history and potential, each spouse's contributions to the marriage, and more.
Who pays for child support and how is it determined?
Child support is typically paid by the non-custodial parent to the custodial parent, and the amount is determined by the state's child support guidelines.
Compassion & Respect for You & Your Family
When you’re facing a family law issue such as divorce or child custody, we know you need legal representation that sees you as a person with a challenge to overcome. At Shaheen & Gordon, P.A., you can expect your dilemmas to be treated in a compassionate manner that respects your humanity. Our divorce lawyers in Portland, ME want to help people like you overcome your legal obstacles by helping you feel comfortable that we’re the lawyers you can trust to deliver results that can bring you some relief.
Begin working with us on your divorce or related family law matter by calling (888) 801-9916 for more information about our attorneys and services.
Appeal to the N.H. Supreme Court of an Interstate Child Support Case Successful Appeal
Domestic Violence Case Charges Dropped and Case Dismissed
False Accusations of Child Neglect in Child Custody Case Client Awarded Custody
Successfully Represented Father in Relocation Case Custody Won
False Accusations of Child Molestation Against Parent Dismissed
Divorce & Family Law Represented Father in Child Custody and Relocation Case
International Relocation - Family Law Case Case Won
Committed to Your Peace of Mind
A Record of Achievement
Connected to Our Community
Unique Legal Experience
Fearless Legal Advocacy