Cathy is “of counsel” at Shaheen and Gordon, P.A. and a member of its criminal practice group.
Cathy started her career as a public defender in 1977, and has extensive experience in state and federal criminal defense. She understands and appreciates how difficult and traumatic it can be to face an investigation or be charged with a criminal offense. Many of her clients are students or professionals, and any criminal conviction can have devastating consequences. Her approach to cases is to provide aggressive but realistic counsel, with an emphasis on preventing or mitigating charges and ultimate punishment. Much of her most successful representation has resulted in no or significantly reduced charges and consequences.
She represents individuals and businesses in all types of cases, from minor motor vehicle and drug offenses to major white collar investigations, felony sexual assaults, and all levels of homicide. She has had significant jury trial experience in her over forty years devoted to criminal defense.
Cathy has been widely recognized for her ability as a criminal defense attorney. In 1996, she was inducted as a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers, an honor which is limited to 1% of the top lawyers in each state. She has been recognized by Best Lawyers in America in the field of criminal defense for the past 25 years. She has also been recognized for years as a lead criminal defense attorney by Super Lawyers, which in 2018 named her as one of the top 100 lawyers in New England. Cathy has received numerous honors including the New Hampshire Bar Association’s Donald Dufresne Award for Outstanding Professionalism, the New Hampshire Women’s Bar Association’s Marilla M. Ricker award, and the New Hampshire Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Champion of Justice Award.
Cathy serves on numerous Boards and Committees. She chairs the Board of the New Hampshire Public Defender. She is a trustee on the University System of New Hampshire Board. She serves as an advisor to the American Law Institute’s Project on Principles of the Law, Student Sexual Misconduct: Procedural Frameworks for Colleges and Universities. She has been a member of New Hampshire’s InterBranch Criminal and Juvenile Justice Council for many years. She is a founder and served as the President of the New Hampshire Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers for over a decade.
Before joining Shaheen and Gordon, P.A., Cathy was a partner in the criminal defense firm of Green and Utter, P.A. in Manchester, New Hampshire.
- State of New Hampshire
- United States District Court, District of New Hampshire
- First Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
Professional Associations & Memberships
- New Hampshire Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers President (from 1989 to 2001); Treasurer and Member, Board of Directors (2001 to 2011)
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers (Inducted 1996; Chair of NH State Committee 2002-2004; Member Emil Gumpert Award Committee 2004-2010); Member State Committee 2010-2015
- Board of Directors for New Hampshire Public Defender Program (Member & Secretary 1992-2009; President since 2009)
- Advisor, American Law Institute Project on Principles of the Law, Student Sexual Misconduct: Procedural Frameworks for Colleges and Universities (2016 to Present)
- Federal Court Advisory Committee, United States District Court for the District of New Hampshire (2003 to 2012)
- University of New Hampshire School of Law - Board of Trustees: Trustee since 2003; Chair from 2011 – 2014
- University System of New Hampshire - Board of Trustees: 2017-2020
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation (Since 2010)
- InterBranch Criminal and Juvenile Justice Council - NHACDL Appointee, Member, Executive Committee; Co-Chair Alternatives to Incarceration Task Force (2008 to 2014)
- Commission on State Courts - Commissioner Appointed by New Hampshire Supreme Court; served as Sentencing Committee Co-Chair (2005-2006)
- Task Force on the State of the Legal Profession in New Hampshire - Appointed by New Hampshire Supreme Court (2005-2007)
- First Circuit Federal Defender Selection Committee (2005)
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Manchester Bar Association
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- New Hampshire Women's Bar Association
- Criminal Justice Act Panel Member, United States District Court, District of New Hampshire
- 1977‑1980: Staff Attorney, Hillsborough County Public Defender Office
- 1980‑1985: Schapira & Green, P.A. ‑ Partner in General Practice Law Firm
- 1985-1996: Law Offices of Cathy J. Green - Practice limited to Criminal Defense, State & Federal Courts
- 1997-2018: Green & Utter, P.A. - Partner in Criminal Defense Law Firm
- 2019 to Present: Shaheen & Gordon, P.A. - Of Counsel
Honors & Awards
- Inducted into American College of Trial Lawyers (1996)
- Selected as Fellow of the American Bar Foundation (2010)
- U.S. News and World Report Best Lawyers as Best Law Firm rankings - Tier 1 Criminal Defense: Non-White-Collar and White Collar Litigation (2011-2012)
- Named as one of the 500 Leading Lawyers in America (Lawdragon Magazine October 2005)
- Named by Business New Hampshire Magazine as the Top Criminal Defense Lawyer in New Hampshire all three years they compiled the list (2002, 2010 and 2012)
- Listed in Best Lawyers In America in the area of Criminal Law for over 25 years
- Listed in National DIrectory of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Martindale Hubbell "AV" (highest rating)
- Honored by the New Hampshire Bar Association with the E. Donald Dufresne Award for Outstanding Profressionalism (2004)
- Recognized as "Chaimpion of Liberty" by National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (The Champion Magazine July 1991)
- Recipient of the Marilla M. Ricker Achievement Award, New Hampshire Women's Bar Association (2001)
- Named by New Hampshire Magazine as Leading Criminal Defense Attorney in New Hampshire (every year since 2002)
- Honored by the New Hampshire Women's Bar Association as one of the First One Hundred Women Admitted to the New Hampshire Bar Association
- Super Lawyers Magazine:
- Named as one of the Top 100 Super Lawyers in New England (2018) (one of three lawyers recognized in New Hampshire)
- New England Super Lawyer in Criminal Defense - White Collar (2011) (2014) (2017)
- Super Lawyers Business Edition
- Top New Hampshire Law Firm for Litigation (2011)
- Trinity College, Hartford, Connecticut, BA 1974
- University of New Hampshire School of Law, Concord, New Hampshire - JD 1977
- Numerous Programs of New Hampshire Bar Association, New Hampshire Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Federal Court for the District of New Hampshire, and the First Circuit Court of Appeals. Lecturer on Search & Seizure, Sexual Assault, Pornography, Computer Crimes, Forfeiture, Drug Defense, DWI, Trial Practice, Discovery, Ethics, White Collar Criminal Defense, Evidence, Trial Preparation, Trial Tactics, Sentencing, Use of Informants and DNA.