Francis G. Murphy is a highly-skilled attorney with over 30 years of experience practicing law.
Francis has successfully represented clients in diverse areas of civil litigation, including cases involving truck, car and motorcycle accidents, workplace injuries, and employment discrimination. He has appeared in every Superior Court in New Hampshire as well as the Federal District Court, New Hampshire Human Rights Commission and New Hampshire Department of Labor. He has argued numerous appellate cases before the New Hampshire Supreme Court and the First Circuit Court of Appeals.
Fran was included in the list of Best Lawyers in America for both his work on behalf of claimants in Workers’ Compensation cases and individuals in Employment cases. Best Lawyers is a highly respected peer-review guide that identifies lists of peer recommend lawyers by location and practice area. Fran has presented frequently at legal seminars on insurance law, personal injury law, discrimination law, and employment law and has been a faculty member for the National Institute of Trial Attorneys and the New Hampshire Trial Lawyers Academy.
Fran has a diverse litigation practice at Shaheen and Gordon, P. A. He likes to point out that not every case is a million-dollar case, but every case deserves his devoted attention even after an initial loss. Sometimes the road to victory is not straightforward; Fran goes the extra mile for his clients.
Francis G. Murphy’s Philosophy of Giving Back
“I have spent much of my legal career helping injured people. Although cases resolve in terms of money, I have received the greatest satisfaction when I see something tangible that comes from that money.
Sometimes it is just having outstanding medical bills paid and calls from collection agencies ended. Other times, it has been a new wheelchair or handicapped van or hospital bed that allows an impaired client a measure of comfort. On many occasions, we have been able to set aside money for a minor that will be used to fund college.
I believe it is important for all of us – but especially for lawyers – to give back to our professions and our communities. Below are some of the matters that I have been involved with over the years. Next to helping clients (and my family), these matters have given me great enjoyment.”
- Member of the Bar – New Hampshire
- Member of the Bar – Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- United States District Court for the District of New Hampshire
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
Education & Career
- B.A., Rhode Island College, 1974
- M.A., University College Dublin (Ireland), 1976
- J.D., Fordham University School of Law, 1981
- Law Clerk and Senior Law Clerk, New Hampshire Superior Court, 1981-1983
- Law Clerk to Justice William Batchelder, New Hampshire Supreme Court, 1983-1984
- Attorney/Shareholder/Director Stewart & Murphy, P.A. (and its corporate predecessors), 1984 – 2009
- Attorney, Shaheen & Gordon, P.A., 2010-2011
- Attorney/Shareholder/Director, Shaheen & Gordon, P.A., 2012 - Present
Professional & Community Involvement
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- New Hampshire Association of Justice
- Nashua Bar Association
- Member Keenan Trial Institute
- DWS Trust Company (an incorporator in 1989 of NH’s largest trust company); Independent Member Board of Directors; Chair of the Board’s Investment Committee
- President of the Friends of Greeley Park (annual sponsor of Santa in the Park)
- Volunteer Mediator at the New Hampshire Commission for Human Rights (a program that has helped settle thousands of cases without a trial)
- Frequent Presenter at Continuing Legal Education Seminars on such topics as: The Law of Expert Testimony; Health Care Subrogation and Reimbursement Claims; Readying a Case for Settlement; Motor Vehicle Insurance Law; Wrongful Discharge Employment Law; and Motor Vehicle Insurance Law.
- Nashua YWCA “Certificate of Recognition” for Pro Bono Work
- Lower Merrimack River Local Advisory Committee, Member Appointed by Governor, 2016 to present
- Tournament Director – Nashua Columbus Day Youth Soccer Tournament (coordinated games between 125 teams)
- Manager – Nashua Youth Baseball Teams Parent’s Award “From the Bottom to the Top” (took team from last to first place)
- Assistant Coach – Nashua Biddy League Basketball Teams
- Past Board Member – Mount Pleasant Street School PTO
- Past Board Member – UCD Alumni Association – Boston
- Past Member, NH Bar Association Bar News Committee
- Past Instructor (Business Law) St. Anselm College
- Past Faculty Member N.H. Association of Justice Trial Academy
- Graduate of the Keenan Trial Institute: “Giving Trial Lawyers the System they deserve to win, to protect our community safety and deter wrongdoers by holding them accountable.”
Recognition & Awards
- 2016-2019 Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for Employment Law – Individuals and Workers’ Compensation Law - Claimants
- 2019 “Lawyer of the Year” By Best Lawyers for Employment Law – Individuals
Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. Each case is different and case results referred to in this website are not intended to be, nor should they be understood as, a representation that equivalent results will be achieved in any given case.
$1,225,000 Settlement Of Estate Of Worker Killed By Electrocution
Settlement was pieced together from four defendants, following the electrocution of a lineman for a cable construction company. All defendants blamed the lineman for the accident. Fran retained experts from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Canada and a private engineering firm, leading to a pre- trial settlement in federal court.
$305,000 Settlement For Worker's Death
Client's husband died after he lost control of his company vehicle on black ice. The workers' compensation insurer denied the claim, blaming his alleged reckless conduct for the accident. After losing at the Department of Labor twice, Fran appealed to the New Hampshire Supreme Court. A lump sum settlement of widow's right to future benefits was reached at mediation at the Supreme Court.
$250,000 Settlement For Sexual Harassment
Client, female law enforcement officer, witnessed abuse of female in custody by male law enforcement officers, who directed sexually derogatory remarks at the female. Client suffered post-traumatic distress over the incident and was retaliated against in the workplace for her having complained about the abuse. Fran successfully pursued a workers' compensation claim as well as a sexual harassment/retaliation claim in federal court, leading to a pre-trial settlement of all claims.
$175,000 Settlement Civil Rights' Claim
Client had her arm broken by a police officer, who then arrested her on three charges. Fran tried the criminal case, getting her acquitted of two of the charges. An appeal to the New Hampshire Supreme Court on the one conviction resulted in a reversal of that conviction. A civil rights suit was then brought in federal court, leading to a pre-trial settlement.
$170,000 Verdict For Property Damage
Client's home was adjacent to roadway where construction was performed as part of a municipal improvement project that included replacement of existing sewers. Client's foundation was damaged, leading to structural damage on her first and second floors. The construction company's insurance company denied the claim and offered $0. Fran successfully tried the case in the Superior Court, working closely with structural engineer who supplied expert testimony, leading to a verdict plus an additional award of $18,696 in costs.
$140,000 Settlement For Dog Bite
Child's parents were divorced. While staying at her father's house, child was bitten on her face by dog owned by him. Father's homeowner's insurer denied the claim. Fran first litigated the question of insurance coverage successfully and then litigated the dog bite claim, leading to a pre-trial settlement.
$100,000 Settlement For Motorcycle Accident
Other driver came out of parking lot and cut in front of client's motorcycle. Client's head went through driver’s rear passenger window, but fortunately, he had his helmet on. Client suffered a fractured leg. Fran reached a pre-trial settlement for the policy limits.
$45,000 Settlement For Injury In Retail Store
Client was placed on an inversion table by sales attendant while client was shopping for exercise equipment at a large sport's equipment retailer. The table flipped over, injuring him. Fran discovered that the inversion table was subject to recall by the manufacturer, leading to a pre-trial settlement of client's soft tissue injury claim in federal court.
$25,000 - Long Term Disability Benefits Claim Settled
Long-term disability insurer cut off benefits to client with Lyme Disease. Fran orchestrated supporting medical evidence during the internal appeal of the denial of benefits. The appeal was denied by the insurer. Fran prepared suit in federal court, leading to pre-trial settlement of client's right to future benefits that also included waiver of insurer's right to recoupment from a retroactive award of Social Security disability benefits.
Breast Cancer Therapy Insurance Claim Settled
Health insurance benefits were denied for radiation therapy following breast cancer surgery. Federal claim based on ERISA was brought by Fran against health insurer, leading to settlement and payment for the therapy.