Lawyers Serving New Hampshire & Maine
Municipalities often find themselves involved in litigation brought by a resident, dissatisfied by decisions taken by a municipal board. Our attorneys at Shaheen & Gordon, P.A. have represented municipalities and landowners in both sides of these actions. As special counsel, we have represented Zoning Board of Appeals on issues involving land use restrictions, federal preemption and permitted uses involving Wetlands Overlay Districts. In our representation of landowners, we have appealed planning board and zoning board decisions on issues involving grandfathering, wetlands use restrictions, hardship and noise ordinances. Our practical aggressive representation, along with focus on our clients long terms goals, has brought us and our clients success.
Municipal law is diverse, and ever expanding. Our team has approached issues from both sides, and is prepared to assist you in achieving your goals in the most efficient, constructive manner.
- Is your collective bargaining at a standstill?
- Do you need assistance in negotiating fair and reasonable wages, hours, and other terms and conditions of employment?
- Does your municipality need assistance drafting zoning ordinances that allow proper and planned development?
- Has an American with Disabilities Act claim been filed against your municipality?
- Are your municipal departments and officers in need of quick and responsive legal opinions interpreting municipal bylaws and State statues?
- Are you attempting to obtain municipal approvals to open and operate your business, but your approvals are being delayed by wetlands protection, historic preservation or road access interfering with building your home?
- Has your municipality’s recent tax revaluation been challenged as unfair and disproportionate because the property values have increased dramatically for residential properties abutting lakes?
We believe that we can assist you because of our wide municipal experience that recently includes:
- Successfully represented municipal managers in collective bargaining negotiations with the municipal entity;
- Litigated the American with Disabilities Act on behalf of a small New Hampshire town before the New Hampshire Superior Court and New Hampshire Supreme Court;
- Worked with architects, engineers and municipalities to develop plans for health care facilities that satisfy our client’s business needs;
- Negotiated separate collective bargaining agreements as a member of the school board on behalf of a school board with teachers, support staff and custodial staff;
- Appealed and received abatement for tax assessments that unfairly, illegally, and disproportionately overtaxed our clients;
- Sought and obtained a Superior Court reversal of a local Zoning Board of Adjustment decision that would have required a significant industry in the municipality to terminate operations that had existed for over fifty years.
I will and have already told anyone we know in need of a lawyer to go to Shaheen & Gordon.” - Betsy W.
“He spent a long time on the phone with me and was very honest and up front about the costs of service. It was nice to finally get some assistance with the questions I had.”- Vanessa L.
“They have always had my best interest in mind and have worked diligently toward finding a successful resolution.”- Howard P.
Record-Breaking Defamation Lawsuit $275 Million
Successfully obtained a record-breaking $275 million jury verdict in a defamation lawsuit.
Eight-Figure Medical Malpractice Case $50 Million
One of our attorneys was selected by a national defense firm to consult with their litigation team on a variety of trial issues in a $50,000,000 medical malpractice case.
Sued the FBI for the Death of John McIntyre $3.1 Million
The suit brought under the Federal Torts Claim act claimed that former FBI Agent John Connolly leaked McIntyre's cooperation to gangster Whitey Bulger, resulting in McIntyre's execution.
Settlement in Wrongful Death Lawsuit $2 Million
D. Michael Noonan represented the parents of Jacob Goulet, a teen who died after being swept away in a storm drain, in a wrongful death case against the city of Nashua.
Pedestrian Run Over by Tractor Trailer Truck $1.7 Million
Pedestrian injured by tractor trailer truck making illegal U-turn received a settlement of $1,700,000.00 as compensation.
Settlement for Second-Floor Fall Victim $1.5 Million
A young man was injured in fall from unsafe second-floor sliding door received a settlement of $1,500,000.00 as compensation.
Motorcycle Passenger Struck by Car & Injured $1.25 Million
Woman passenger on a motorcycle injured in a car crash received $1,250,000.00 as compensation.
Motorcyclist Killed in Collision With Automobile $1.25 Million
Family receives $1,250,000.00 in compensation in wrongful death claim.
Settlement of Estate of Worker Killed by Electrocution $1.225 Million
Settlement was pieced together from four defendants, following the electrocution of a lineman for a cable construction company.
Recovered for Woman Exposed to Dangerous Drug $1.05 Million
A woman was harmed by the use of a dangerous drug received a settlement of $1,050,000.00 as compensation.
Committed to Your Peace of Mind
A Record of Achievement
Connected to Our Community
Unique Legal Experience
Fearless Legal Advocacy