Support & Custodial Modification

Legal Guidance from a New Hampshire Divorce Lawyer

At the conclusion of a divorce the court will issue a final divorce decree. This decree will include all matter, such as child custody and support, alimony and property distribution. This decree is an official plan that must be followed by both parties, but it can be modified. At Shaheen & Gordon, P.A., we understand that life situations occur that can force a change in a support and custody order. There are many distinct laws that pertain to the modification of child support, alimony or child custody. A lawyer from our firm can help you petition the court to modify the parenting plan or residential schedule.

Our attorneys can help you. Contact us at your earliest convenience.

A support or custodial modification consists of the court changing the requirements and provisions that are currently set in place. A modification can be of a minimal nature and involve a minor change, such as changing specific hours when the parent without physical custody can visit the child. These changes can also be major, such as transferring physical custody from one parent to the other. The most important part of a modification that should be remembered is that the request will only be accepted if it is in the best interest of the child. One of our attorneys can help you understand the specific laws that may apply to your case.

In many situations, one parent experiences an unfortunate change in their job and a modification of child support or alimony is then required. A child support order can be changed after three years has passed since the most recent parenting plan. Otherwise, the parent wishing for a modification must prove that he or she has experienced a large change in circumstances.

Our Distinguishing Awards & Honors

Helpful Videos for Your Case