Call Us Today
Full-Service Legal Advocacy….It’s Different Here.

How to Restore Your Driver's License

After a DWI suspension or revocation of your driving privileges, you will have to provide a proof of completion of a substance abuse program if you want to get your license reinstated. The New Hampshire Department of Safety, Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has a list of approved alcohol intervention and education programs. There are ten agencies in the state that provide these types of education courses. Cities include Epping, Manchester, Dover, Berlin and more.

There are four different types of substance abuse education programs. First, there is the Impaired Driver Intervention Program (IDIP) or the Weekend Impaired Driver Intervention Program (WIDIP). The second type of program is a program for repeat offenders specifically, called the Phase II Programs for the Repeat First Offender. Third, there is the Multiple Offender Program (MOP) which is for second and subsequent offenders. Finally, there is the 28-day residential treatment program.

Drivers who want to get their driving privileges reinstated must pay their fees by mailing a check to the New Hampshire Department of Safety, DMV Financial Responsibility Bureau. Petitioners can also call and pay with a MasterCard or Visa. It is a $100 fee to restore your license and operating privilege, $100 to restore a commercial driver's license and $50 to restore an original/youth operating license.

According to the New Hampshire DMV, “Individuals convicted of driving while intoxicated are mandated to file proof of insurance for a minimum of three years from the date of conviction for a first offense and longer for subsequent offenses.” The proof of insurance form is called the SR-22 form. If your license has been suspended for a period of three years or more, then you will have to take the full driver's licensing exam over again.

New Hampshire also requires a probationary license for five years following restoration after DWI, according to Chapter 265 of the New Hampshire Motor Vehicle Code § 265-A:35. The law states that drivers who have had their driving privileges taken away for DWIs are high risk. With a probationary license, a driver is not allowed to drive with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .03 percent or more.

Restoring your driver's license is different than securing a hardship license. While some states allow for DWI offenders to petition for a hardship license with restricted driving privileges, the state of New Hampshire does not allow this.

Contact a New Hampshire DWI attorney from Shaheen & Gordon to discuss your case. Our firm's goal is to fight for those who have been charged with DWI so that they do not lose their driving privileges in the first place. However, if you have already lost your license, our firm can assist you in petitioning for reinstatement. To learn more, call a NH DWI lawyer from our firm today!