Call Us Today
Full-Service Legal Advocacy….It’s Different Here.

Workers' Compensation FAQs

Were you injured at the workplace? Are you suffering from an occupational injury? Get the facts! Shaheen & Gordon provides legal workers' compensation representation to individuals in New Hampshire and throughout Northern New England. If you have questions, our firm can walk you through the process so that you get the coverage you deserve as an injured worker. Below, we've provided some helpful answers to common questions about workers' comp insurance.

Where can workers' compensation law be found in the New Hampshire codes?
New Hampshire workers' compensation law is found in Chapter 281-A of the New Hampshire Statutes. This is a relatively long section of the law and details every possible aspect of workers' comp. This may be difficult to comprehend on one's own. If you have questions about workers' comp law, please consult with a New Hampshire attorney from our firm for legal counsel.

What type of form do I have to fill out if I was injured at the workplace?
If you are injured at work or develop an occupational illness, you will need to fill out the “Notice of Accidental Injury or Occupational Disease” (8aWCA). This is a basic one-page form that requires your information, your employer's information, the description of your accident and details about your injuries.

What are weekly indemnity benefits?
Weekly indemnity benefits are weekly payments that injured employees can receive during their time out of work while recovering from their injury/illness. To calculate the amount, the New Hampshire Department of Labor Workers' Compensation Division will total the employee's gross earnings for the 26 weeks preceding the injury. The rate used, since 1994, is 60 percent of the average weekly wage.

What if I'm injured but am employed at two places?
If you are employed at more than one company at the time of your injury, you will still be eligible to receive weekly indemnity benefits based on your combined earnings from both positions, since your injury prevents you from performing both jobs.

What loved ones are entitled to receive death benefits after the death of an employee?
After the death of an employee, workers' compensation insurance can provide death benefits to certain close relatives of the employee. Death benefits are only available to dependents of the deceased worker. Who is a dependent? RSA 281-A:2V gives the exact definition of dependent and who can qualify for these benefits.

The questions answered above barely scratch the surface of workers' compensation law in New Hampshire, which is why we encourage all those faced with these issues to contact a New Hampshire workers' compensation lawyer at Shaheen & Gordon for legal assistance. Call today and receive a free consultation.