Born and raised in the steel town of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, Ed Stewart has spent the last 36 years representing and promoting the interests of the working men and women of New Hampshire.
After graduating from Bowdoin College and the University of Maine School of Law, Ed was selected by then-Attorney General David Souter to serve in the State of New Hampshire Office of the Attorney General. In 1980, he entered private practice with the personal injury firm of Brown and Nixon, P.A. and quickly developed a concentration in the area of workers’ compensation law. He has represented injured workers before the New Hampshire Department of Labor, the New Hampshire Compensation Appeals Board, the New Hampshire Superior and Supreme Courts and the United States District Court for New Hampshire.
In 1996, Ed was the founding chairman of the Workers Injury Law & Advocacy Group, a national non-profit organization dedicated to representing the interests of millions of workers and their families who, each year, suffer the consequences of work-related injuries and occupational illnesses. He has spoken at more than 40 national, regional and local seminars on various workers’ compensation issues and also has testified on countless occasions before the New Hampshire legislation on the impact of legislation on workers and their families.
In 2008, Ed was inducted as a Fellow in The College of Workers’ Compensation Lawyers, a national organization established to honor those attorneys who have distinguished themselves in their practice in the field of workers’ compensation. Currently, Ed is retired as he was a well-regarded workers' compensation lawyer.
- State of New Hampshire, 1976
- U. S. District Court for the District of New Hampshire, 1976
Professional Associations & Memberships
- New Hampshire Bar Association, Secretary, 1984-1986.
- New Hampshire Association for Justice, President, 1987-88; Board of Governors, 1982-1997.
- Workers Injury Law & Advocacy Group, Chairman, 1995-1996; Board of Governors, 1995-present.
- American Association for Justice, Board of Governors, 1988-1996; Workers’ Compensation Section, Vice-Chair, 1991-1995, Chair, 1995-1996.
- College of Workers’ Compensation Lawyers, Fellow, 2008.
- State of New Hampshire Compensation Appeals Advisory Board, 2004-2008.
- The Best Lawyers in America, 1995-2010.
- New Hampshire Association for Justice
- Board of Governors’ Award, 1992 &2005
- President’s Award, 1994
- New Hampshire Editions Magazine, “Excellence Award” in the area of plaintiff personal injury and workers’ compensation, 1994.
Education & Career
- B.A., Bowdoin College, magna cum laude, 1973.
- J. D., University of Maine School of Law, 1976.
- Assistant Attorney General, The State of New Hampshire Office of the Attorney General, 1976-1980.
- Attorney/Director/Shareholder, Stewart and Murphy, P.A. (and its corporate predecessors), 1980-2009.
- Shareholder/Partner, Shaheen and Gordon, P.A., 2010