Jay Buckey is a member of Shaheen & Gordon’s civil litigation group.
As a litigator, Jay works with clients on cases that cannot be settled and need to go to trial. He focuses on helping clients resolve difficult legal issues swiftly and effectively while removing as much of the stress of litigation as possible from the client. A long-time New Hampshire resident, Jay has over a decade of experience defending criminal cases in New Hampshire courts, including family court, circuit court, and superior court.
Jay began his career at the New Hampshire Public Defender, starting as a Staff Attorney in Keene before becoming the Managing Attorney for the Newport Office. As a public defender, Jay handled everything from juvenile offenses to serious felonies with cases ranging from motor vehicle offenses to criminal regulatory enforcement actions.
Jay has also taught criminal law to first-year law students at Vermont Law and Graduate School.
- New Hampshire Bar
- United States District Court for the District of New Hampshire
Education and Career
- B.A., Georgetown University
- J.D., Vermont Law and Graduate School
- Staff Attorney, New Hampshire Public Defender, 2011 – 2018
- Managing Attorney, New Hampshire Public Defender, 2018 – 2023
- Adjunct Professor-Vermont Law School 2021-2022.
- Associate Attorney, Shaheen & Gordon, 2023 – present
Professional and Community Involvement
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- President of Sullivan County Bar Association
Recognition and Honors
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers Award (2011)