New Hampshire Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
Fighting for Victims of Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect
Elderly individuals and families have come to trust nursing homes and assisted living facilities as a means for addressing their daily needs during life’s most vulnerable years. As such, they often make careful decisions about choosing facilities capable of providing the care, medical treatment, and support they deserve. Unfortunately, not all nursing homes meet their legal obligations to provide an acceptable standard of care, which can place residents at risk of suffering preventable harm and losses.
At Shaheen & Gordon, P.A., our New Hampshire attorneys have earned national recognition for our ability to protect the rights of victims and families throughout northern New England and beyond, including those who have been harmed as a result of neglect and abuse in nursing homes and assisted living facilities. If you or someone you love has suffered preventable injury or losses in a nursing home anywhere in New Hampshire or the surrounding areas, our team is prepared to fight for your rights.
Why Clients Choose Us
- Award-Winning Lawyers with Decades of Collective Experience
- Millions of Dollars in Compensation Recovered for Clients
- Skilled Litigators & Negotiators with Proven Results
- Caring, Compassionate & Personalized Approach
To discuss a potential nursing home abuse or neglect lawsuit personally with a member of our team, contact us to request a free and confidential consultation. To learn more about nursing home abuse, download our free guide to elder abuse in New Hampshire and Maine.
Nursing Home & Elder Abuse
Each year, thousands of victims suffer as a result of nursing home and elder abuse, and with a growing population of baby boomers, the problem is continually growing. Under New Hampshire’s Adult Protection Law (RSA 161-F), elder abuse encompasses a broad range of misconduct and failures that involve the neglect, abuse, and exploitation of an elderly individual:
- Neglect – Neglect of elderly individuals and a disregard for their health, safety, and welfare can substantially increase the risks of preventable injuries, including falls, infections, bed sores, and more.
- Physical Abuse – Physical abuse involves intentional infliction of physical pain or injury. It may occur between nursing home staff and elderly residents, or between residents themselves, which nursing homes should be able to identify and address.
- Emotional Abuse – Elderly individuals and nursing home residents can suffer profoundly as a result of emotional abuse, which can consist of intentionally or negligently causing anguish or distress through acts such as harassment and intimidation.
- Sexual Abuse – Sexual abuse is more common in nursing homes and assisted living facilities than most would believe, and can include any form of non-consensual sexual contact.
- Financial Exploitation – Vulnerable and trusting elderly individuals can be exploited by caregivers and others for their own financial gain. Examples of financial exploitation may include unauthorized access to bank accounts, fraud, investment schemes, and more.
Abuse & Neglect Warning Signs
Many victims of nursing home and elder abuse are in vulnerable states of health, which makes them less likely to stand up for themselves or communicate to others about the abuse they have suffered. The unfortunate result is that many cases of abuse and neglect go unreported. However, family members and friends who suspect that their loved ones may be the victims of abuse, or believe that injuries or losses are the result of misconduct or substandard care, can help them move forward toward securing the justice and compensation they deserve. This is why it becomes important to notice when common signs and symptoms of abuse or neglect are present, including:
- Mood and / or personality change
- Tension between your loved one and their caregivers, including care home staff
- Mysterious injuries ranging in severity, including bruises and scars
- Repeated falls under similar circumstances (same time of day, same location, et.)
- Unusual changes to their finances (large withdrawals, etc.)
- Poor hygiene, weight loss, malnutrition, dehydration
- Pressure sores
Nursing Home Lawsuits in New Hampshire
Whether abuse or neglect occurs in a residential nursing home, assisted living facility, or at the hands of caregivers and others tasked with caring for an elderly individual, victims and families have the right to fight back. At Shaheen & Gordon, P.A., our legal team assists victims and their loved ones in understanding their legal rights, investigating claims of abuse and neglect, and taking the necessary steps to pursue nursing home abuse claims and lawsuits that can hold at-fault parties accountable for their conduct and liable for victims’ damages, which may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical bills related to treatment
- Loss of income or earning capacity
- Mental anguish and emotional injuries
- Serious injuries or wrongful death
- Financial losses
- Loss of companionship or spousal / parental relationship
Request a FREE Review of Your Case
Nursing home and elder abuse claims can be challenging matters, and are often aggressively contested by accused individuals and facilities that have an interest in shielding their reputation and protecting their financial bottom line. However, these cases can be handled effectively with the help of experienced attorneys who understand elder abuse laws, personal injury law and civil lawsuits, and how to hold wrongdoers accountable.
If you wish to discuss a potential case anywhere in New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, or the surrounding states, please do not hesitate to reach out to our proven legal team at Shaheen & Gordon, P.A. Contact us to request a free consultation.
“She was professional, thoughtful, and kept in constant contact throughout the litigation process.”- Tom R.
“I will and have already told anyone we know in need of a lawyer to go to Shaheen & Gordon.”- Betsy W.
“He spent a long time on the phone with me and was very honest and up front about the costs of service. It was nice to finally get some assistance with the questions I had.”- Vanessa L.
Settlement in Wrongful Death Lawsuit $2 Million
D. Michael Noonan represented the parents of Jacob Goulet, a teen who died after being swept away in a storm drain, in a wrongful death case against the city of Nashua.
Pedestrian Run Over by Tractor Trailer Truck $1.7 Million
Pedestrian injured by tractor trailer truck making illegal U-turn received a settlement of $1,700,000.00 as compensation.
Settlement for Second-Floor Fall Victim $1.5 Million
A young man was injured in fall from unsafe second-floor sliding door received a settlement of $1,500,000.00 as compensation.
Motorcycle Passenger Struck by Car & Injured $1.25 Million
Woman passenger on a motorcycle injured in a car crash received $1,250,000.00 as compensation.
Motorcyclist Killed in Collision With Automobile $1.25 Million
Family receives $1,250,000.00 in compensation in wrongful death claim.
Settlement of Estate of Worker Killed by Electrocution $1.225 Million
Settlement was pieced together from four defendants, following the electrocution of a lineman for a cable construction company.
Recovered for Woman Exposed to Dangerous Drug $1.05 Million
A woman was harmed by the use of a dangerous drug received a settlement of $1,050,000.00 as compensation.
Arbitration Award for Woman Injured in Motor Vehicle Accident $1 Million
Attorney D. Michael Noonan successfully arbitrated this case for a woman seriously injured in a motor vehicle accident including serious leg injury and a mild traumatic brain injury.
Pedestrian vs. Automobile $699 Thousand
Elderly pedestrian walking on the sidewalk when an elderly female driver loses control of her vehicle driving up onto the sidewalk striking the pedestrian causing serious injuries to both legs.
Automobile vs. Tractor Trailer $550 Thousand
Tractor-trailer driving down a rural hill, Plaintiff driving up the hill on the opposite side of the road, a collision occurs near the centerline during a snow storm causing serious injuries to the Plaintiff.
Committed to Your Peace of Mind
A Record of Achievement
Connected to Our Community
Unique Legal Experience
Fearless Legal Advocacy